Before anyone goes on about what I have written about lists before. Especially top ten ones. Please dispel your sense of belief for a while.
There are some things that annoy me when reading other people’s copy. I did discover this list but that sums up other people’s. I will add my greatest peeve at the bottom as number 11.
The image to the right shows how I feel when I see some of theses. Especially if it’s the 11th on out erroneous top ten list
- Your and You’re are not the same word.
- The contradiction of could have is not spelled Could of.
- Then shows sequencing events. Than is used for comparison.
- Most of the time, Affect is a verb and Effect is a noun.
- There, they’re and their are completely different words.
- To, Too and two are also completely different words.
- D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y There is definitely no A in that word.
- Your pants are Loose. You lose your keys.
- You bear weight with your bare hands.
- A lot is always two words.
Finally, is number 11. This is my top peeve. I see it soo many times and it does drive me to distraction
- It’s and its are completely different words. One is contraction of it is and the other shows possession .
If you have any of your own, please add them in the comments below. Either that or just head over to the OED’s website [ If you have a UK library card you can search the whole website for free ]`
COL. NATHAN JESSEP: "You can't handle the truth!" from A FEW GOOD MEN